Thursday, March 14, 2013

Everything I Need To Know About Sports I Learned From Musical Theater


I’m addicted to coconut water. I’m obsessed with my dance class. I have a tramp stamp.  Seriously.  I’m that big of a white chick. Is this the reason I didn’t care about football until I started watching Friday Night Lights? Maybe, but I actually think no.

It’s not that I’ve ever hated sports. I’m from L.A., so I’ve always had an emotional attachment to the vapid flashiness of the Lakers. I’m also a goddamn American, so you’ll never have to twist my arm to get me to drink a beer and watch anything.
It’s just that instead of sports, I was raised around musical theater, so to me, sports have always seemed obnoxiously melodramatic yet somehow boring.  They were never something I thought much about – the background noise at a bar, the reason to make guacamole. That is, until I fell in love with someone who was in love with sports.

As a sports agnostic, I try to be tolerant of my boyfriend’s athletic beliefs. He gorges on football in eight hour stretches, and I keep a straight face when he claims not to watch T.V. I watch him slam chairs and slurp tobacco when his team shits the bed, and keep the thought to myself that there are more relaxing ways to spend a Sunday. The lost bets, the raised blood pressure, the idolizing of athletes who will never reciprocate his love. I mean, sure, they’re talented, but Jesus Christ; it’s not like Adrian Peterson is Alice Ripley.

Although…

(For my fellow lay/me people) Adrian Peterson was this year’s NFL MVP. Not only did he push past a torn ACL and legions of other hungry players to claim said title, he clawed his way through a childhood of extreme adversity to attain his wild success. He intercepts like a shark bearing down on its prey. He runs like beast being hunted. In a life littered with status updates and manufactured thrills, watching that kind of unbridled tenacity and skill tear through the stadium reminds us of our simple human capacity for greatness. It’s the space shuttle launching. It’s the pyramids at dusk. It’s a fierce bitch belting a high F from her pussy while she’s airborne and dressed like a witch.

I spent my childhood singing Think Of Me to the balcony in my bathtub. I used my fourth grade project on the pioneers to shoe horn in my rendition of On My Own. Fed, bathed, and housed by my parents in suburbia, I obsessively told an imaginary Argentina not to cry for me. This was my shooting hoops with a phantom Michael Jordan; my throwing a football to a Joe Namath who would one day be my teammate. The romance of these figures barely fades in adulthood. They will always remind us of who we want to be when we grow up.

Lucky jerseys and peanut shells tossed onto stadium floors are a new dress and candy unwrapped quietly between scenes. Going to a game or show is an event: wrapped in familiarity while pulsing with the excitement of not knowing what you’re about to witness. The first movement of the orchestra, the lights of the scoreboard are as comforting and important at Christmas music or fireworks on the Fourth of July.

I wish there was a football Sunday for musical theater. If livestreams of Catch Me If You Can, Newsies, and Book of Morman happened all day once a week, you can bet your sweet ass where I’d be with a wedge of brie, my girls, and my gays*. (*I am not trying to make some hackneyed statement about gender or sexuality here. I am fully aware that there are plenty of women who love sports and plenty of straight men who love musical theater. I’m just saying that in my particular case, that crowd would be comprised primarily of girls and gays.) I can only imagine what it would be like to bet on said livestreamed theater. If I could win money and watch Patti LuPone go up on a line?...Just the thought has me downing mimosas and cussing like trucker at a rest stop. But, alas, this beautiful institution exists only in my mind, so for now, all I can do is crack a Coors Light, eat some tots, and watch my boyfriend yell at his divas in tights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment